• Army Denies Recovering 11 Cars, Two Bodies From Pond
There appears to be no let-off in the killings in Plateau State, as at least four bodies were recovered yesterday, including that of a security agent at Nkiedoro village in Miango town of Bassa Council, with two places of worship also razed in an attack. A community source said residents were able to recover the four dead bodies, adding that the “boys” had also gone in search of more bodies.
About 19 persons were killed in the same local government area in the early hours of Thursday when some people, suspected to be herdsmen, stormed Ariri village as residents were still in bed and destroyed many valuables. The attack on Ariri village was well-coordinated attack and lasted for just 20 minutes, while those attackers fled the scene in motorcycles after achieving their aim. They also destroyed many harvested farm produces in the attack.
In the renewed attack yesterday, a source close to the scene told journalists that the latest incident occurred about 10:55 pm on Thursday at Nkiendoro by gunmen, armed with sophisticated weapons, where were later repelled by men of the Operation Safe Haven that arrived at the nick of time.The source further stated that one policeman who sustained injuries during the attack was receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital in Jos, adding that 35 houses were also burnt and several farm produces destroyed.
When contacted, the state Police Public Relation Officer, Mathias Terna Tyopev, declined comment on the latest attack, saying: “I cannot say anything on this for now until the state commissioner of Police, who is attending a meeting in Government House returns with the Interior Minister, Lt-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau (rtd) finish their meeting.” In a related development, the headquarters of 3 Division, Nigerian Army, has described as a false and misleading, a report that eleven cars and two bodies had been recovered from the pond where the car of the missing Maj-Gen. Idris Alkali (rtd) was recovered.
In a statement signed by the Deputy Army Public Relations, Col. Kayode Ogunsanya, the Division thanked members of the public for the interest they have shown in finding the missing retired senior officer, adding that since the commencement of the search and rescue operation, as directed by Army Headquarters, the following have been discovered in the abandoned mining pit filled with water.
On September 29, a black Toyota Corolla car, with the registration number KWARA MUN 670 AA; a customised white T-Shirt with Nigerian Army logo and the general’s name inscribed on it, as well as a pair of canvass shoe belonging to the retired missing senior officer.
“On October 2, a white Toyota Hiace bus, with registration number PLATEAU RYM 307 XA, which was reported missing with the driver on June 24 and a red Rover car, with registration number BAUCHI AG 645 TRR, which was also allegedly reported to have been buried along with the occupants on January 31, 2013.”
The military enjoined the public to disregard news being circulated on the social media to misinform them about the ongoing search and rescue operations, saying it was the handiwork of the fifth columnists.
It added that cordon and search operation was ongoing in the general area of Dura-Du District in Jos South Council to find the retired missing senior officer, either dead or alive, to “enable his family re-unite with him, if found alive or for the family and Nigerian Army to give him a befitting military burial, if he is dead.”He confirmed the arrest of some people for further interrogation, urging the good and peace loving people of the state, especially the people of Dura-Du District to come forward and give credible information regarding the whereabouts of the missing officer.