More than 30 offices at the central administrative office of the College of Science and Technology department of Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin-Kebbi, Kebbi State, were destroyed by fire with vital official documents including students’ results consumed by the inferno.
It was gathered that the fire, which was reportedly caused by an electrical surge in one of the staff offices, started at about 10:00a.m. yesterday and engulfed the college premises before the fire service personnel arrived at the scene.
Speaking with newsmen, an officer at Kebbi State Fire Service Department, Mr. Nasir Guru, confirmed that the fire outbreak was reported to them at about 10:00a.m. but due to poor equipment, they were not able to extinguish the fire before it destroyed the college building.
Confirming the incident to newsmen, Rector of the institution, Arch. Sani Aliyu, said: “We don’t expect this kind of fire with no specific reason beside that it was some electrical surge.
It has just taken place and it would be practically impossible for us to ascertain the vital documents that were lost.
What we know is that Central Administrative offices, laboratory, students results, valuable documents and staff office of the College of Science and Technology department were burnt by fire.”
Governor Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, who paid an unscheduled visit to the scene, sympathized with the management of the polytechnic.